Working in "The Office"

These are the top five reason's why my Office resembles "The Office" TV show:

1) Prank war is an understatement for what goes on in our office. It started with jello-molds, and then got more creative to things like turning up the volume on my phone and switching it to the cougar growl and having several people call non-stop so that I don't have time to change it or quiet it, to the ultimate: the wireless mouse prank (see previous posts for this description).

2) Love is in the air... we've had so many Jim and Pam stories of people who worked together and got married. Additionally, I can point out those who have similar characteristics in my office to the personalities on the TV show. Just ask me for these...

3) Office Olympics- We've had two rounds of Office Olympics. The second resulting in me diving across the finish line with Course Catalogs's strapped to my feet, skinning my knees for a very controversial finish that resulted in a tie for first. (Remember Brittany) ;)

4) Needless Meetings- I remember one meeting in particular that Dwight called where we sat around the table and he started telling us about how to debate (like on HS debate teams). Then divided the table up and said, you will take the pro side and the other will take the con side to the statement 'How do you think things are going at work.' Camille and Nathan will be judges and decide which team does the best and that team with the judges I will take out to lunch. Probably the best meeting so far.

5) Dwight- When I first was hired at my current job, the director's name was actually Dwight, who conducted a group interview with all the candidates and expressly said at the very beginning "We are looking to hire someone who wants this job and can recognize the value of working here, if I offer you the job and you say 'I have to think about it' the offer will be rescinded, you decide right now and if you are on the fence... there is the door." Then he proceeded to conduct an interview where we all played Pictionary and build towns out of tinker toys because he said that was the best way for him to find the perfect candidate (never mind our resumes)... then took me and one other candidate out to lunch where I was told by Dwight that my test was to order his meal and if he didn't like what I ordered he wouldn't hire me. Then he covered his ears and started humming so that he wouldn't hear what I ordered. I ordered steak (because experience has taught me that men like steak)... and luckily a smile came to his face when they set the plate in front of him. I was hired later on that day. (Please reference Dwight interviewing Andy in Season 3).

Does anyone else ever notice similarities?... maybe that's why the TV show is such a classic.

Comments

Annie said…
Oh, how I miss IS...So fun and so funny.
Teachinfourth said…
Ah, prank wars...like a little slice of heaven there.

I'll have to tell you about the Crisco sometime. It would be a hit in your office!
Rebekah said…
ha ha - i used to work with a dwight too. he used to email love letters to the married girl who sat next to me.
Maurine said…
Hi Camille. I saw your blog on Theresa's, and I thought I would stop by to say hi. This post had me laughing so hard...out loud by myself. I totally forgot about your interview. Dwight told me to come up with something unique for the group interview, so I brought tinkertoys. You have to admit it was more fun that most interviews right?
Alisha said…
Hum, #1 sounds strikingly similar to pransk I remember in an office we previously worked together in--maybe it's all you instigating this :)

Popular Posts