Graduate Professors

Ok... now I know there might be a touch of irony in this entry, but my gosh- I just got out of class today and there are two things I have decided that both of my graduate school professors do that insanely bother me:
  1. They both speak faster than any one person should- in fact, I'd love to see a dual between both of them to see how many words they can say in a minute while completely confusing their class.
  2. They both speak in scattered thought fragments. Now, I usually understand this type of thinking because, my brain goes a mile a minute too... however, when you are teaching a class you have to be succinct, eloquent, and clear, or else students are confused and ultimately get grades that don't accurately reflect what they know. And these are teachers teaching us how to teach, by the way. The scary thing is that I normally can't follow them long enough to tell when an assignment is due... however I have caught dangling sentence fragments between breaths that hint at an assignment, that cause me and the rest of my class to ask a question concerning this surprise event. I guess I'm just scared that all of my hard work won't be recognized if I come to class "prepared" only to find that something was due, unbeknownced to me.
Just to prove my point, I'm going to give you excerpts of the syllabus for my Law and Education class... this professor takes the prize for insanity! I couldn't include the whole document... but imagine a text file that wasn't converted and has sentences all over with format problems, extra spaces, extra returns in the middle of sentences... mercy! (p.s. the text highlighted in yellow is actually flashing on screen).





Actually this doesn't nearly show the craziness. But you get my drift right?

Comments

Jared said…
Yeah that isn't very organized! I think they need to reevaluate their teaching approach. Good luck trying to figure it all out!
Anonymous said…
If you get a seizure from it, do you have a viable lawsuit? I always hated it when teachers would jump onto tangents and think they gave you instructions when the thought actually never left their head and made it out of their mouth.
kathy said…
Camille, I've finally come out of my blog-stalking to leave a comment! I took that class a couple/few years ago and I promise it gets better. It was actually one of my favorites from the whole program. He's a good guy (but a lawyer, not a teacher) so maybe that's where some of the confusion comes from? You'll do great!
Camille said…
Thanks Kathy. I know you're right... I had some graduate professors in NY that were the same but some of my favorite. I actually LOVE my law class, it's one of my favorite classes. But sometimes I just need to release steam in that these teachers are going in hyper mode... and I can't absorb it all... but I'm sure I'll get used to it again. :) p.s. I'm so glad you commented... how are you? :)
Camille said…
And jeremy... you're right... I could sue! :) How are you, good to hear from you.

Popular Posts