Jeans v. Sleeping Bag

Maybe you all can help me settle a dispute. I was talking to a guy who seems to think that his $200 sleeping bag was a much better purchase than my $200 designer jeans. The issue is what is WORTH spending EXTRA money on. (Assuming that you already have cheaper jeans and a cheaper sleeping bag.) Now before all of you jump to any conclusions right off, let me plead (or question) both cases... then you can vote.

$200 Jeans
  • Most women know how hard it is to find a good fitting pair of jeans and are willing to pay good money for them when they do find jeans that fit right.
  • Most women know that men respond to the way women look and that wearing an outfit that you feel comfortable with aids not only in aesthetic comeliness but also is confidence.
  • Men like women with confidence.
  • It was argued that these jeans won't last forever, but if you're like me you still have key items in your closet from 10 years ago. When you spend that much money on something you are bound to make them usable for a long period of time.
  • I bought these jeans when at my desired weight, and I want to use these as a measuring device for future years of the size I will work hard to be at. I was laughed at for this statement... but I think it can be done!
$200 Sleeping Bag
  • Does it really matter if you pay $50 or $200 for a sleeping bag?
  • How often do you use a sleeping bag in comparison to jeans?
  • What has a sleeping bag done for me lately? Gotten me any dates? Made me breakfast? Cleaned my apartment?
  • Does this enhance any type of confidence or positive image?
Now, I'm not saying sleeping bags are bad... heck I'd like a nice $200 sleeping bag, but if I had to choose... I'd have to go with the jeans. That might be just because I'm single. But this is the age old male v. female dispute on quality money distribution. Man wants gear, toys, tools, etc... women want clothes, furniture, etc. So who wins?

Comments

Mike said…
2 years ago i would've said sleeping bag hands down. but now i'm all about the jeans.
Anonymous said…
I'm not so sure men care all that much about a woman's confidence. Certainly not as much as women claim to like it about their men.
Jess said…
Sleeping bag. When you are drug out of your home by the national guard because of a natural disaster and you grab your sleeping bag you will be so glad that you will survive the night without freezing to death... can jeans do that? :) Sleeping bag is more than just recreational - it could be survival.
Anonymous said…
Now that's the kind of woman I want to marry! (Jess) I really need to ask her out...

The bigger question here is: Are you in debt?
If the answer is yes, then neither sleeping bag or jeans is the answer.
But...
At least the sleeping bag is useful if/when you lose your house, job, or even your electricity for whatever disasterous reason.

And speaking of debt and money, the million dollar question is this: What would Jesus do?

Answer: Sleeping Bag

By the way, I didn't know you could buy jeans that get you dates, cook and clean. That's pretty cool. Where can I get a pair?
Camille said…
Yeah but a $200 sleeping bag!!! that's the issue... I spent money on a sleeping bag and have one in case of an emergency. (And bought it before I bought my jeans...)

AND Mr. Wright... how would you know what Jesus says?

AND no this is not a debt issue. :)

What is the deal with anonymous comments... own it man!
Teachinfourth said…
I don't know...you would probably look pretty good in either one, however, I would probably notice a girl in the jeans before the sleeping bag.

Bag ladies don't get the kind of attention they're after, I'm sure...
Anonymous said…
No debt?
Tithing paid?
Got a sleeping bag already?

Then for cryin' out loud, take care of yourself!
GET the fancy pants! Get TWO pair!

Just be aware of the warnings in the scriptures about 'costly apparel' (Which these jeans definitely are) :

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?search=costly+apparel&do=Search

Truth be told, you'd look amazing in a potato sack.

How do I know what Jesus says?
I study the scriptures. I listen to his Prophets...The obvious stuff.
There are countless accounts in the scriptures of camping in and fleeing into the wilderness – to say nothing of the Pioneers.

I can't in good concience let you win this argument with all that scriptural evidence against costly apparel. Especially if they already have HOLES in the knees!
Sorry. :(
Anonymous said…
Yes, but a good pair of $200 jeans will get me into any sleeping bag that I desire... ;)
Rebekah said…
jeans. and score for linzy's comment - that was hilarious
Rebekah said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said…
I'd heard about all these comments and had to come check 'em out. They're awesome!

I have another argument for the bag - $50 bag vs. $200 bag is the same as crap vs. quality: there is a HUGE difference when it comes to gear - you really do get what you pay for.

Secondly, cheap-cheap jeans - like the $20 pair - truly aren't made well nor with quality materials. But anything more than $70-$100 has the same quality of craftsmanship and materials. You're just paying for the name-brand.

K. I think that's it. :)
Unknown said…
I completely agree with Jess. A sleeping bag counts for emergency preparedness and if you are limited, the option of hefting around

1. a 10 pound sleeping bag that will only work until 30 degrees F and any lower than that you are not sleeping but fighting off hypothermia.

vs.

2. a 3 pound bag that will go well below zero and feels like a bed all its own.

Well, you might just trade in your comforter for the $200 sleeping bag. Believe me, I've tried a few. (Poundage used only for illustration purposes and may not be accurate.)

You do have good points about the jeans. So, my vote, if you can afford it, get them both. If you have to camp in your jeans, you'll prefer the $200 bag. That is sure for certain.
zlb said…
sorry camille you totally know i'd go for the bag. . . already have for that matter. and just bought some snowshoes so you better bring your fancy jeans and snowshoes down here when the white stuff hits.

Popular Posts