Summer Squash Side Dishes

Summer and squash seem to go together so nicely. When cooking for one, I find that squash is a bit hard because there can be a lot if you just cook for one. So I have two different recipes for summer squash side dishes that are sized for one, and will hopefully help you maximize that dollar and give you some variety.

Grilled Summer Squash
Photo from http://www.essentialgardenguide.com
  • 1 tsp. dill weed
  • 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • coarse salt and pepper
  • 2–4 oz. summer squash
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  1. Add dill weed, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to a Ziploc bag. Shake, and then add squash. Let marinate for 5 minutes, tossing frequently. 
  2. Heat grill to medium heat. Place squash on grill and let cook 10 minutes. Flip, and then cook another 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon juice.
Maple Summer Squash
  • 1 cup water
  • 2–4 oz. summer squash
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1 tsp. butter
  • dash of coarse salt and pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Pour water into a baking dish and then place squash in the pan.
  2. Sprinkle the top of the squash with brown sugar. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
  3. Remove squash from oven and scrape insides of squash from the skin into a small bowl. Add maple syrup and butter. Stir and mash well, until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Comments

Michael Toa said…
that sounds lovely. I used to eat loads of summer squash when I was in the States. It's not so easy to find them here in the UK (not where I live anyway).
Have a great day. Michael

PS. I ordered your book and I cannot wait until it arrives ;)
Camille said…
I'm so glad you got the book. Be sure to tell me which recipes you enjoy! :)

Popular Posts