I heart Football!
Ok kids... you're about to get my thoughts and feelings on the BYU Football matter. I was just reading Rebekah's blog and after realizing my comment was almost longer than the entry... I figured I have things to say about the "Cougs".Football History: I went to South Pasadena High School (SPHS), home of the Tigers. I remember going to football games when I was little and crying when we would loose. When I got older I dated a football player (who later when on to play college ball at the University of Washington and UNLV) thus was a die hard fan, and was the QB and Captain of our HS Power Puff team. (My sister was the Junior captain- if that tells you anything about our family). :)
I came to BYU and was a true blue fan, I was there before kick off and stayed in the rain, sleet, and snow until the bitter end. When I first got to BYU they were eh... good, but nothing to brag about. Regardless, I would always overrate them in any conversation and fully believe that our team could beat up your team (so to speak) in any match up.
Then came the Doman/Staley season. I've never been more happy about BYU football, and it practically became a religion as I completely believed that we were due a BCS Championship Bowl game. And then the University of Hawaii... oh, pain and anguish. I was sick about it for weeks and I'm not sure I ever fully recovered.
The next season, I was on my mission, but the season I got back I was in NYC and would travel great distances to watch the game. I remember going to a party in Harlem, and everyone else was chatting and mingling and having a great time, I was glued to the TV with about four other guys. (If anyone wants to know why I didn't date in NYC, this might be why.) But this was the Crowton era... and anyone who knows their BYU football history knows these are formidable years. When I got back from NYC, it was the first time in my history that I didn't buy an "All Sports Pass," I just simply couldn't bare the thought of watching mediocrity. But that leads us to BYU Football now...
BYU Football Now: I remember getting emails with links to the BYU BCS rankings before the season started... and I would quickly delete them after skimming the contents. I just don't like false hope. Watching the Washington game was a "yep, that's what I thought," game for me... classic BYU football where we somehow choke and either barely scrape by, or loose dramatically. Then came UCLA, now I'm from LA and the Rose Bowl was five minutes from my house, so this game was for all the money in my mind... I mean I have to deal with friends that went to UCLA and current friends who live there. I had no expectation of them winning. I watched the first two quarters in complete awe... and the only words to escape my lips were "No freakin way!" It was a beautiful sight... a perfect game... from BYU!?!?! The problem is that I still have the Doman season finale in my head... so yes, it was a spectacular game, but now what... classic BYU history would tell us that after a game like that, we then play a team like Wyoming and barely win and realize it was just a fluke. So, honestly, yes I will award accalades to BYU Football for the UCLA game, but to me they have a LONG way to go to gain back my trust.
Like I commented in Rebekah's blog... if we compared this to a relationship... I would just think that BYU Football is hot/attractive right now. Nothing more... No committment, no nothing. This is one relationship that will take time and testing.

Comments