Anne of Green Gables Romance- Dysfunctional!

So we were having a water cooler moment in my office today, and we all agreed that the Anne of Green Gables saga of liking a person for years and being on and off again... and having some amazingly romantic ending is actually a recipe for dysfunction! If I were to talk about a guy I've liked for years and say it was on and off again, everyone in my life would tell me I needed to purge myself and move on! How healthy was it for poor Gilbert to like Anne for years and years, living on the hope that she'd change. (Well, if you live on a tiny island, you might not have a choice)... but maybe that's why the movie is so timeless, is because it is such a rare chance that it will happen that it has become an epic romance. But HARDLY something to expect or wish for in real life. (Oh, I hope that I can fall in love with someone for years and not have them like me back...) Gosh!

So sorry ladies... Anne of Green Gables myth... BUSTED!

Comments

Unknown said…
Yeah, you've got me there. Definitely dysfunctional. But isn't that what sending someone on a mission and dating while they are gone is all about? Or, rather, going on a mission and leaving someone waiting at home?
Camille said…
Kinda I guess... but at least both parties have interest... but with Gil and Anne, only one did. :)

Popular Posts