DC Metro Annoyances

WMATA
I've lived in DC for a year now and take the Metro several times a week to work. Over time, some annoyances have built up and I have to air them to the world so that I can get an "Amen!"
  1. Leaning against the poles: Ok, so for those who don't know the layout of the metro, there are seats on the sides and poles in between for people to hold on to. My least favorite thing is when a person leans up against a pole, because they take that stability away from people in favor of their own. The worst is when you have someone lean up against a pole when there are already like four hands on it and it smashes your hand... it's like... um hello!?!
  2. Broken escalator traffic: At the Pentagon stop, one train in upstairs and the other downstairs. There are two escalators. But lately, one has been broken... so that means the other escalator doesn't move and acts as stairs, people going up on the right and down on the left. But inevitably in the rush all of the sudden when there is a pocket of no traffic, people start using both sides to go one direction. When this occurs, two things happen: 1) those people have to fit back in the right side line when the other people start coming down again... and they ALWAYS start coming down again. 2) You have some nasty words spoken from those going down... and it's a downer in anyone's day to hear that.
  3. Random shoving: So the problem with fighting rush hour traffic on the metro is that everyone wants on THAT train. So the people trying to fit on, push... sometimes really hard to get in. Which always makes it uncomfortable for everyone and again nasty words said. Not to mention, if some guy didn't shower, everyone knows it and I'm right up in his armpit. Gross.
But I really should be thankful... taking public transportation saves me taking an hour to go 4 miles to work on freeway traffic and the difference of $8/day versus $19/day per parking (not to mention gas). So thanks for the smelly armpits Metro, better than the alternative. :)

Comments

Laura said…
Sounds awful! Stinky armpit guy!!! But that is nice to be able to save time and money. I guess you got to do what you got to do. (I know all about that.)

Popular Posts