BYU vs. Utah Game


Well, the historic BYU versus University of Utah game was this past Saturday (24th)... James did his best to get us tickets. It was a great game... outside of the fact that both teams were playing poorly for the first three quarters and only scoring via field goals. In the last quarter and final seconds of the game Utah scored to bring them just over 4 point over us. Then with about 1:30 to go, BYU had a drive down the field, and at one point we had 4th and 18... and then a hail Mary... CAUGHT! Followed by a touchdown to win the game.

I just have to comment though on a choice young man who sat right in front of us... I actually know this guy. I dated his roommate. Interestingly enough I didn't know he was stewing as bad as he was... until about a couple minutes into the second quarter he turned around and yelled... "I can't stand all of the negativity... be positive... common let's support the cougars, what'd-ya say? (to the crowd)" No one responded to him, instead one guy said "we support the cougars, we wear blue... (he was wearing lime green). :) But James was directly behind him, and we are all entitled to our opinion and James (as well as others) didn't have much faith in our kicking team (but if you look at their stats, it's easy to see why)... but we were cheering on our team. But apparently anything we said that wasn't optimism made this guy just fume.

I watched him for the rest of the game just sit there and shake his head. When BYU made some bad plays, he would say "aw... common Cougs"... but anything said by anyone in our section to the refs or anyone, was just making him so mad... so I ask that man... WHY, oh WHY come to a UofU vs. BYU game? This is a rivalry engrossed with emotion... and to ask a crowd to "be happy" is a bit much. I understand his crusade, and perhaps even have a bit of respect for the premise for it... but to start YELLING at people to do it... isn't that in and of itself defeating the point?!?!?

Ok enough of that... point proved... the cool part of it all is that my brother James and his friends charged the field after the game... he took my camera and took some cool pictures... I went on the field with Jared after (I figured I shouldn't do that as an employee). But it was such a cool sight. :)

Comments

Laura said…
The jealousy!!!! Looking at those pictures I can smell the football game. Scott said "One day when we are rich we're going to get season passes and fly to every home game" ... we'll see if that actually happens, but it's fun to pretend that we will one day be able to do that. :)

Popular Posts