A Lifetime of Faithfulness
The Assumption: I always hear about those who have been faithful their whole lives. That's the goal, right? We all strive for that, but I imagine the image of "faithfulness" conjures up different pictures in our heads. In my head, I always assumed that faithfulness meant living the gospel perfectly. Someone who always kept their covenants, never sinned, and was miraculously at every church event with gourmet pie in hand.
The Correction: Can I assume that these good people who lived faithful lives didn't have sins? We know that no man is perfect but Christ, so I have to assume all good people have sins. So what makes a person faithful? I think I've been incorrect to assume (for a long time) that faithfulness means living the gospel perfectly... faithfulness means, supporting your leaders, being humble enough to repent and learn from your mistakes and keeping Christ and His gospel at the center of your life. Am I right?
Elder Bednar spoke of Zion's Camp as being a body of men that were willing to lay down their lives in sacrifice for the gospel. Joseph Smith was fatigued from the journey as well... the physical affects reached all in the camp, it was their reaction that differentiated them. So I suppose I can say that a lifetime of faithfulness does not mean a lifetime of perfection.

Comments