Mother or Daughter?

I'm unveiling another pet-peeve of mine. It's when mothers look like their teenage daughters. It's kinda sad... like the mom can't quite let go of the "good ol' days." This frustration came to a pinnacle when I was watching American Idol and realized that Lauren (a 15 year old contestant) looked a heck of a lot like her mother. Mercy. Take a look...

Lauren's mom (left) and grandmother (right)
Lauren 15 yrs old
I don't know... am I being too harsh here? I'm not saying all mothers have to wear "mom jeans" and not look attractive, but there is a difference between mature attractive (which can translate to "sexy") and young attractive (which can translate to "hot"). I guess that's why my 30's are kinda cool in a way... I'm finally making that transition. All's I'm saying is Lauren's mom needs a little coaching in that department. Also, if I start dressing like my teenage girls, someone please send me this blog... because if I'm in my 30's now, I'll be in my 50's by the time my girls are teenagers and that's just sad.

Comments

Larissa said…
This epidemic is most commonly found in Utah, I've noticed.
And these photos look straight from show choir.
My current bishopric's wives have this balance perfect. They wear trendy jeans, keep themselves in tip-top shape, but definitely don't shop in the junior's section and have their hair colored/styled in mature/sexy way. They have a youthful glow and radiance without you having to wonder who they are trying to fool.
JennaK said…
I wouldn't be so quick to say it is most commonly found in Utah. It's actually a pretty common trend everywhere in the last decade with the whole plastic surgery movement and the push to look as young as possible for as long as possible. I mean, it's celebrities that set fashion trends, and lots of 40+ stars are doing this too. Whatever happened to growing old gracefully?

Like Candace Bergen's character on the movie "The Women" said to Meg Ryan's character on why she had a face lift: "Well, I looked around and realized that I was the only old woman around." or something to that effect. Looking young is a trend, and part of that is to dress like a teenager.

But I agree with you, Camille, there's a difference between dressing appropriately and flattering and dressing the way a teenage girl does.
Laura said…
Wow, that mom and daughter look like twins! I thought the mom was the daughter. I love the show "What Not To Wear" on TLC. They totally drive home that point. A 30 year old, 40 year old, 50 year old, etc... should not be dressing like a teeny-bopper. You can still look like a knock-out without dressing like a teenager.
Dale said…
Mercy, Mercy me! Momma is one sexy beast! -To say nothing of granny.

It may just be the Giraffpard skin top that makes her so exotically attractive to me. -I'm a wild game hunter.

Popular Posts