New Challenge: The Mom with the "Best Cookies"
So lately, I've had some down time, and I'm the type of person that might be content with watching a show or two on TV, but would much rather do it while I was multi-tasking. Because I've been cooking so much with the cookbook I've done, I've had the desire to find the "best of" recipes. Several people expect me to have amazing recipes for potlucks and I just don't want to disappoint. Also, I have always wanted to be the mom with the "best cookies" (so to speak). So, I've decided it's my new challenge!
The Challenge
Old Cookbooks: I have tons of cookbooks at home, and haven't cooked through all of them, but I often wonder if the new recipes I try are that good. I've had a few successes and several flops. I don't have much faith in some of my cookbooks, so it makes me want to extract the good recipes or just toss the book in general... widdling down to the really good stuff. (Cookbooks: Rachel Ray, Everyday Food, Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, Mormon Cooking, etc.)
New Cookbooks: I have also bought a few new cookbooks, that I consider the "step up" versions to cooking. Most of us can cook the Martha Stewart and Rachel Ray recipes... they are built for the public, that's what I did with my cookbook. But I wanted to start dabbling with recipes that might be a bit harder... and in turn better. I find that the recipes are a tad more expensive, but the ingredients are fresher and healthier in several cases (with the exception to desserts). And at least to me... fresh ingredients with organic flavor and spices... means that the meal is "better." So the goal is to cook through some of these new books and extract the recipes I love. (Cookbooks: The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2011, Baking Illustrated, Pioneer Woman Cooks, Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes, Our Best Bites, etc.)
The Outcome
The outcome? I'm going to make a cookbook INDEX referencing what cookbook the best recipes can be found.
The Invitation
So here are the books I'm going through... if any of you want to cook a recipe from the cookbooks and let me know what recipes you absolutely LOVE, that would help me out a ton. We can make this a combined effort, because there are too many recipes to do on my own. But let me be clear: only recipes that you LOVE make it to the index... because there is always another "better" recipe out there if you don't really love it. And this isn't the recipe that you say "that's good"... rather the ones that you post on your blog and email to family. So... let's do this...
The Challenge
Old Cookbooks: I have tons of cookbooks at home, and haven't cooked through all of them, but I often wonder if the new recipes I try are that good. I've had a few successes and several flops. I don't have much faith in some of my cookbooks, so it makes me want to extract the good recipes or just toss the book in general... widdling down to the really good stuff. (Cookbooks: Rachel Ray, Everyday Food, Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, Mormon Cooking, etc.)
New Cookbooks: I have also bought a few new cookbooks, that I consider the "step up" versions to cooking. Most of us can cook the Martha Stewart and Rachel Ray recipes... they are built for the public, that's what I did with my cookbook. But I wanted to start dabbling with recipes that might be a bit harder... and in turn better. I find that the recipes are a tad more expensive, but the ingredients are fresher and healthier in several cases (with the exception to desserts). And at least to me... fresh ingredients with organic flavor and spices... means that the meal is "better." So the goal is to cook through some of these new books and extract the recipes I love. (Cookbooks: The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2011, Baking Illustrated, Pioneer Woman Cooks, Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes, Our Best Bites, etc.)
The Outcome
The outcome? I'm going to make a cookbook INDEX referencing what cookbook the best recipes can be found.
The Invitation
So here are the books I'm going through... if any of you want to cook a recipe from the cookbooks and let me know what recipes you absolutely LOVE, that would help me out a ton. We can make this a combined effort, because there are too many recipes to do on my own. But let me be clear: only recipes that you LOVE make it to the index... because there is always another "better" recipe out there if you don't really love it. And this isn't the recipe that you say "that's good"... rather the ones that you post on your blog and email to family. So... let's do this...
![]() |
| The Best of America's Test Kitchen, 2011 |
![]() |
| Baking Illustrated |
![]() |
| Pioneer Woman Cooks |
![]() |
| Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie |
![]() |
| Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen |
![]() |
| Mormon Cooking |
![]() |
| Rachel Ray 365: No Repeats |
![]() |
| Everyday Food |
![]() |
| Better Home and Gardens Cookbook |










Comments
I don't have nearly as many cookbooks as you, so I would definitely be willing to try some recipes from your books. Great idea!