Airplane Window Seat
Whenever the travel agent asks me if I want a window seat or aisle seat on an airplane I automatically say window seat. First of all, you get to see out the window instead of looking over people and second I tend to think that if I'm tired that it will be the only way for me to have something to lean up against so I can go to sleep. However, what I don't usually account for is that it is next to impossible to sleep on a plane. Ironically, I somehow save my much needed hours of sleep for the plane ride home.
You're only real shot at sleep comes with the window seat... but there are several reasons why any sort of sleep on an aircraft is next to impossible... mostly because you are so limited on comfort and sleeping options. In my recent trip I realized that I had several attempts at sleeping. Here's how I break it down:
You're only real shot at sleep comes with the window seat... but there are several reasons why any sort of sleep on an aircraft is next to impossible... mostly because you are so limited on comfort and sleeping options. In my recent trip I realized that I had several attempts at sleeping. Here's how I break it down:
- The Head Bob- This sleeping position is ubiquitous for any other seat on the plane. You have to sleep so that your head is straight back on the head rest and anticipate that your head won't move whilest sleeping... a person who can pull that off shoul
d just paint open eyes on their eyelids and have a tape recorder of questions and answers going so that the person next to them will feel warm fuzzy's for making a friend on board the plane. Two near impossibilities accomplished... the ultimate multi-tasker. This person should be registered with every airline as a "middle seat-er. " - The Crevasse- This is the position that I most often start off in when trying to sleep. The trouble with this position is that you put your head in the corner, but once you fall asleep your head starts to slouch and normally your mouth gapes open. It's so attractive for anyone sitting besides for you, and inevitably you neck gets kinked and somehow folded in that crevasse,... waking you up due to uncomfortability in some sort of snorting, drool-collecting way.
- The Back Prop- After realizing I was uncomfortable in the crevasse, I tried the corner back prop. This is where I would angle my back in the corner for support (to defeat the neck slump). The problem with this is that this angle can cut off the flow of blood to your legs, which is a problem if you sit in an exit aisle and anticipate crashing... it wouldn't be beneficial if the exit escape person had no control over their legs... what kind of assistance is that? And if your mouth was gaped open before, the lack of support for your head causes the full head tilt back and will cause dry mouth... which adds an amusing element to the snorting and drool-collecting when jolted awake.
- The Doggie Bag- To others this position looks like you are grabbing for a doggie bag, but in reality it is leaning forward, arms on your knees, and head resting against your hands and the seat in front of you. This position doesn't last for long, trust me. Either your head droops and bobbles all around, or your leaning becomes more intense and soon not only your head is up against the seat in front of you, but your nose and mouth are smooshed as well.
- The Fetal Position- This is the last attempt at sleeping before you semi-consciously sit dazed in your chair angry at all the airplanes in the world, the people sitting next to you, and especially happy flight attendants who are looking to assist you... assist you my foot. Gimme a bed! This position, you try to curl up (as best as possible) in the fetal position with your back against the window. However, the scrunching feeling is not comfortable... and you might wake up throwing punches. (beware to those sitting next to a person at this level of airplane sleep deprivation... you might want to conveniently go to the bathroom right then). :)

Comments
Necessity is the mother of invention. My cousin thought about this too and created something to solve some of these problems. The second video he is being interviewed. I haven't tried it because I hardly ever travel, but if you try it out, let me know how it works.
http://www.cozytraveler.com/travel-neck-pillow-videos.html