The Undergrad Way of Life

One of the cool things about working for BYU is that they give you six free credits to take courses each semester. I decided to take a couple of undergrad courses this semester... and I have some observations.
  1. I'm wicked smart now... It amazes me what a little life experience and career will do. The teacher will ask a question, and I'll look around when I don't see any hands up, thinking... seriously, does no one know? Apparently not, but I have to think back to my undergrad days... I'm sure I didn't know anything. I've actually had to make a goal of shutting up and not talking as much. It's ok though, because I've had some sweet study partner offers... the nice thing is I don't really need to study. I guess I come closer to being up in front of the class teaching, then sitting in the chair, but it makes for good grades without any effort... and homey likes that.
  2. I'm wicked old now... it always amuses me at how my classmates approach me about my age. One said "so are you in the program?" When I say no, he said "then what do you do?" Another in a coaching baseball and softball class said... "so when did you play softball" with a bit of a nervous smile. I said "back in 1996." He just stood there. You should've seen his face as he did the quick math and then looked back at me like... "Why?... Why are you in this class?" Then there's the beauty of recognizing that look and walking away leaving them to figure it out for themselves. Mystery is my best friend.
  3. Death by PowerPoint... alright teachers this is for you... and ya it might be because I'm an instructional designer and this is what I do for a living, but ENOUGH of the PowerPoints that have every word of what you say. If that is the case, put it on Blackboard and let me sleep in, I can zip through it later. I have had the craving several times to revamp professors courses, and I finally caved in one of my courses, and offered my services as a means of extra credit.
  4. Cool Kids... are still cool. I'm in several classes with BYU athletes and I still get star struck. Even though I've done a ton in my life, they are still the untouchable ones. Why?
Anyhow, I think the one thing that grad school has taught me is how freakin' easy my undergrad was. When I see students freaking out and obsessing over what they think are hard assignments, I just wanna say... "just wait."

Comments

Scott said…
That would be kinda' fun to go back and retake some of my classes, see if they are any easier. Some might be, but most of my 3rd-4th year classes kicked my butt. You should take Corporate Financial Reporting next semester and let me know how it goes. ;) If you can ace that class without trying, then I think I'm going to encourage the girls to wait until they are in their late 20's to go to college. For real!
Scott said…
opps, that was me, not Scott. - Laura
Jared said…
I agree with what you said and want to add that undergrads are annoying! At least I am annoyed by them when I go on campus here at Mizzou! That is all!
James said…
Haha...little children are funny. Friends of my little brother, just because you are in college now doesn't mean you are as smart as me. I like being wicked smart!
Larissa said…
1. I thought my undergrad program was hard! Well, just the first two years - then it was a lot of work, but easy to grasp and ace.
2. I miss softball!
3. You really are a BYU Cougar ;-)

Popular Posts