Picture Perfect Meal
Many of you know that I've been in a Dinner Group for over three years now. When I reflect on it, I'm a bit surprised that it has lasted that long... or maybe that I committed that long. When it comes to social events, I'm kinda a loose cannon. :) But this is the perfect set up for me (and Lindsey, Jessika, Jana, and now Matt). We each take a day of the week (Mon-Thur, Sun) and cook dinner. We only cook about four dinners a month, and we have dinner provided for us the other four days. We aren't required to be at each dinner, and if we miss, then leftovers are packed up for us.
Not only that, but I have the budget and the time to really try dinners that are new and a bit more lavish. I absolutely LOVE to cook, so this works perfectly with my busy schedule and I get to try new things, buy new spices, and justify expenses at Williams Sonoma. :)
Well, one of my signatures is that I LOVE buying fancy plates and table settings. To me thre presentation of the food is half of the fun. Sometimes I like to just look at the food I cook for awhile before I eat it. And the more colors the more healthy and balanced I've found. :) When I lived in New York City, I was on a college budget and my roommates would kid me that I would only eat white food... chicken, pancakes, saltines... I never noticed that before, but they were right and hence my love for astetic presentation emerged.
This past week I had a two in one success. The food looked so pretty AND it was by far the BEST salmon I've ever made. I've been trying to go through a new cookbook that was given to me for my birthday by my friends Nick and Sarah called Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats and it has been good, but wow... because I loved this recipe so much because of all the points it scored, I'm going to post it for all of you that want to seriously impress guests or loved ones, and it is NOT that spicy:
Sauteed Salmon with Spicy Fresh Mango-Pineapple Chutney
While the chutney is cooking, preheat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Season the salmon with the coriander, salt, and pepper. Add the seasoned salmon to the hot pan and cook until just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
While the salmon is cooking, finish the chutney: Add the mango, lime juice, parsley, and cilantro, stir to combine, and then turn off the heat.
Transfer the sauteed salmon to 4 serving plates and top each portion with some of the spicy mango-pineapple chutney. Serve with steamed asparagus, snap peas, or green beans.
LASTLY- I actually had a new article come out about Dinner Groups in the local newspaper, if you wanna check it out, go to Crowd Around the Table.
Not only that, but I have the budget and the time to really try dinners that are new and a bit more lavish. I absolutely LOVE to cook, so this works perfectly with my busy schedule and I get to try new things, buy new spices, and justify expenses at Williams Sonoma. :)
Well, one of my signatures is that I LOVE buying fancy plates and table settings. To me thre presentation of the food is half of the fun. Sometimes I like to just look at the food I cook for awhile before I eat it. And the more colors the more healthy and balanced I've found. :) When I lived in New York City, I was on a college budget and my roommates would kid me that I would only eat white food... chicken, pancakes, saltines... I never noticed that before, but they were right and hence my love for astetic presentation emerged.
This past week I had a two in one success. The food looked so pretty AND it was by far the BEST salmon I've ever made. I've been trying to go through a new cookbook that was given to me for my birthday by my friends Nick and Sarah called Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats and it has been good, but wow... because I loved this recipe so much because of all the points it scored, I'm going to post it for all of you that want to seriously impress guests or loved ones, and it is NOT that spicy:
Sauteed Salmon with Spicy Fresh Mango-Pineapple Chutney
3 tablespoons vegetable oil- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 8-oz can pineapple chunks in natural juices (such as Dole brand), drained
- 2 tablespoons honey (a couple of good drizzles)
- 4 6-oz salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (a generous handful), chopped
- 1/4 fresh cilantro (a generous handful), chopped
- asparagus, snap peas, or brean beans
While the chutney is cooking, preheat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Season the salmon with the coriander, salt, and pepper. Add the seasoned salmon to the hot pan and cook until just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
While the salmon is cooking, finish the chutney: Add the mango, lime juice, parsley, and cilantro, stir to combine, and then turn off the heat.
Transfer the sauteed salmon to 4 serving plates and top each portion with some of the spicy mango-pineapple chutney. Serve with steamed asparagus, snap peas, or green beans.
LASTLY- I actually had a new article come out about Dinner Groups in the local newspaper, if you wanna check it out, go to Crowd Around the Table.

Comments