$1.93 for Gas

I can't deny that when I drive down the street and see the gas prices that it makes me smile... BIG. The last time I saw gas prices at $1.93 I was doing my undergrad. I sound like one of those old people reflecting back on the day... but it is amazing. The good news is that I think the prices will stay for awhile... and I even have a source on this...

On my way out to Albany, I sat next to a man about 75-80 years old. He talked to me the whole time, but it was actually pretty cool. He lived in Hollywood back in the 50-60's... and he worked for Chevron for his career. As soon as I found that out, it was a green light to put to rest some of the rumors about Chevron gas and learn more about how gas prices work. So this is what I found out:
  1. Chevron Gas- It is actually better for your car. This man I sat next to was an eye witness to the tests they ran on the several cars for like 50,000 miles. He examined the engines and saw that Chevron gas kept the engine cleaner. I thought that was pretty awesome. How often do you talk to eye witnesses? So I might have to consider shifting to Cheveron.
  2. Prices- He told me that it is a simple supply and demand game. That because prices were so high, our economy started to reduce how much gas we used, and those who sold crude oil had excess and being that the crude oil companies are in competition with each other, they had to significantly reduce prices to compete (and get rid of the excess oil). So I then asked "so, how long is it going to last?" He said that it will stay this way for a couple of years. But it will go up again because China and India's economies are starting to demand more crude oil... and when that happens, the demand goes up and supply goes down... and we find ourselves with high gas prices again. I'm just hopeful that by then we can have some alternative fuel choices so that I won't be paying $5 a gallon. That was crazy... I'm soooo happy to pay $23 for a tank right now... it's glorious.
So there it is... it was great, this work trip I sat next to some amazing people with great advice and life stories. I also sat next to an author that gave me lots of tips. :) Life is so cool sometimes.

Comments

Jared said…
That's a fund time! Hopefully OPEC doesn't step in and rain on the parade!
Jess said…
Woo hoo! Love it. I've been using Chevron for years... and I try to use only it because I have heard that their gas is cleaner. Thanks for posting this - now I have supporting facts for my argument that Chevron gas is better! Yes! :)
Cheryl said…
I've always used Chevron gas, too! And I have to admit that it was beyond thrilling to see gas below 2 bucks. Oh, the joy! I remember when it used to be $1.10...

Which author did you sit by?
Anonymous said…
I wish gas was a $1.93 in Orange County. I just paid $2.25/gallon here. Good to know that my dad was always right about Chevron.

Popular Posts